Saturday, June 6, 2009

Cameron has Swine Flu

Wednesday Cam woke up and said he was feeling achy all over. I kept him home from school but wasn't to concerned because he didn't seem terribly sick. He sat up all day playing computer games and watching TV. By the afternoon he seemed to be slowing down and started to run a fever. That bothered me a bit knowing that Swine flu causes a fever to come on quick and also knowing that it has not been a big deal for people with "regular" immune systems and that others with underlying problems were the ones having the most problems and even causing deaths.
I gave him some tylenol and told him to lay down and rest, his fever was 100. A couple hours later when I checked him again he was up to 101. I was starting to feel a bit more nervous but kept thinking maybe I was just being paranoid. He got up to 102.5 and I gave him some more tylenol. A couple more hours passed and he was 102.9, I decided I could no longer ignore that nagging feeling of dread in the back of my mind. We left about 10pm for Primary Children's and when we got there the Emergency room was packed with sick kids. My first thought was "we better find a comfortable spot to sit we are going to be here awhile". They called us up quickly to check his vitals and get a bit of info and then we went back to our seats. I was shocked when they called us back after only about 5 min. That scared me ! I know that they see patients in order of importance and they did not take us to an exam room, they put us in a trauma room. Now I was getting worried that my worst fears were coming true.
Before the Dr. even came over nurses were getting an IV ready and putting patches on his chest that hooked up to a machine. Once the Dr. came over he told us they were concerned because of his rapid heartbeat * 145 * which should have been around * 100* They needed to hydrate him and try to get his fever down to try and lower his heart rate. Then what we were afraid of, they were going to test him for swine flu. What an awful test, they put a bunch of saline up his nose and he was sreaming "I can't breathe" then they put tubes up his nose and started sunctioning. He was screaming out of pain and panic as I held his hand and quietly cried and Mike tried to hold his head still. Once that was over they told us we wouldn't get results til tomorrow. Now it was the waiting game. Why do these things always happen at the end of a long day ? By about 2 am his fever was starting to break but now he was vomiting so the Dr. wanted to continue to stay there. He started talking about keeping him for observation. By 3 am he was still vomiting but his fever had not come back so he gave the option to watch him at home and see our Dr later in the day or watch him in the observation area. We decided he would be more comfy at home so we finally left about 3:45. He continued vomiting and his fever came back..... To be continued later.

No comments: