Monday, February 22, 2010

One by One


This poem was in a past issue of "The Waggin Tails" a bi monthly newsletter from CGRR/Companion Golden Retriever Rescue. Please consider adopting an adult or senior dog ! You can go directly to CGRR by clicking on the orange title.
The Sweeties shown above are L to R Remmie(mine), Betsy(Foster of ours for 3 years that went to Rainbow Bridge in 2009), Amber (past Foster), Max (Mine).

One by One

One by one they pass by my cage
Too old,too worn,too broken, no way
Way past his time, he can't run and play
They shake their heads slowly and go on their way.

A little old man, arthritic and sore
It seems I am not wanted anymore
I once had a home, I once had a bed
A Place that was warm, and where I was fed

Now my Muzzle is gray, my eyes slowly fail
Who wants a dog that is so old and so frail ?
My family decided I didn't belong
I got in their way, my attitude was wrong

Whatever excuse they made in their head
Can't justify how they left me for dead
Now I sit in this cage, where day after day,
The youngster dogs get adopted away

When I had almost come to the end of my rope
You saw my face and I finally had hope
You saw through the gray, and the legs bent with age
and felt I still had life beyond the cage

You took me home, gave me food and a bed
and shared your own pillow with my poor tired head.
We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low,
You love me so dearly, you want me to know

I may have live most of my life with another,
but you outshine them with a love so much stronger
I promise to return all the love I can give,
to you my dear person, as long as I live.

I may be with you for a week, or for years,
we will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears,
When the time comes that God deems I must leave,
I know you will cry and your heart, it will grieve.

And when I arrive at the Bridge all brand new,
My thoughts and my heart will still be with you.
And I will brag to all who will hear,
of the person who made my last days so dear.

No comments: